Sunday, January 11, 2009

Buenos Aires!

Buenos Aires! As I said earlier, it is really a gem of a city. Its really hard to describe, but if I had to I would say it has the diversity of neighborhoods like Chicago, or New York. There is Micro Central, which is down town, full of shopping districts old European-esque goverment buildings, and the hustle bustle that encompasses any good city.

To the south there is San Telmuo, which has aging building from years ago accompanied by cobbelstone streets, street vendors and bohemian spirit.

To the North there is Recoleta the posh area, remincent of Chicago's Gold coast or the Upper East side in New York. It contains a cemetary which is like none other I've ever been. Buenos Aires' rich have been burried here for decades, but in such a manner it's incredible. These are no mere head stones, rather huge above ground mini houses made of marble and cemetnt, adorended with statues, crosses and all kinds of religous iconography. Rows and rows of these huge tributes take over more than 2 city blocks. One could spend hours getting lost here looking at all the relics of Buenos Aires rich and elite. Evita Peron is burried here along with countless generals and presidents.

Further north is the yuppie enclave of Palermo, which is divided up into sub areas of Palermo Hollwood, and Palermo Soho. Here hip bars, restaurants, and botiques line the main streets, while the rest of the neighborhood is treelined and residential. If I was to live in Buenos Aires it would be here. It reminds me slightly of Lincoln Park in Chicago. Tre Bien!

And finally to the far south is the working class La Boca. Its close to their soccer stadium who houses the La Boca Juniors. Its a rougher, neighborhood, but bustling with color and charachter.

The sophisticated nature of this town really speaks to me. There are two great art museams. Countless restraunts flaunting possibly the best steaks I've ever eaten, a easy and cheap subway, and equally good bus system. And then there is the Tango.

Known as the birth place of the Tango, you can see it from posters everywhere, to small street shows, or my favorite a theatre show. After Ryan left, I met up with some people I met down south in Puerto Natales. We decided to attend a tango show / dinner.

Although a bit costly (only on my budget) it was well worth it. We were served fine steak, and great Argentine wine, and then pleasured with a Tango show that went on for about an hour and a half. This is the first time I was ever privy to see Tango in person, and it didn't dissapoint. It is beautiful, passionate, and emotional. The dancers knew every inch of eachother and it seemed with ease, breathed the same breath. I've never before felt the need to take a dance class, but this show definately put the spark in me.

I've been in Buenos Aires now for a week, which is the longest I've stayed anywhere in South America. And allthough tomorrow I cross the river into Uruguay, I intend on coming back to this dazzling city in a few days, and use it as my staging ground for the remainder of my trip, which unfortunately is coming to an end. Two weeks left. I'll make them great!

2 comments:

Mike Gerenda said...

Great pictures Kip!

Uncle MIke

Ryan Wanger said...

I agree...beautiful! The cemetery is insane?